Wednesday Prompt: After reviewing and scoring other AP Language argument essays, identify two important takeaways that you can apply to your own writing. Explain what you learned about claims, evidence, commentary, the “so what?” explanation, or the AP rubric. Use specific observations from the essays you reviewed. Write one complete paragraph.

Prompt Response: Two main takeaways I found from the essays were the way you wrote them and the vocabulary used. When I looked at the essay at first glance, I already had a preconceived notion of which essay I would give a higher score. For example, in sample MM, I noticed that it had short paragraphs and didn't even look like a full essay, so I subconsciously decided that I would grade it more critically than sample AA simply because of the way it looked. As for the vocab, I noticed that the essays that got higher marks (AA and W) had high-rigor vocab words such as "commodification" and "expunged." While this vocab doesn't automatically give the author the sophistication point, it certainly helps ease the AP grader into giving it to them. 

Summary: Today in class, we went over different students' essays from the past and graded them based on the rubric.

Reflection: This week in class, we have mainly focused on the rubric for the argumentative essay. We have learned the components of it and we have seen examples of how to gain all the points we need. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monday Prompt: Think about a time when you exaggerated something to make a point, tell a story, or get someone's attention. What happened? What did you say? Why did you exaggerate? Looking back, do you think your exaggeration made your message more effective? Explain.

Thursday Prompt: Think about a speech, song, or message that has inspired or motivated you. How did the speaker or writer use language to make an impact? Connect your experience to at least one rhetorical device you identified in Dr. King's "I Have a Dream" speech.

Wednesday Prompt: After reviewing the feedback on your argument essay, identify one thing you did well and one area you need to improve. Explain what you will do differently the next time you write an AP Lang argument essay.